Have you been tired of giving interview as a Technical Writer, but could not end up on a positive note. I can assist you to prepare, for your interview.
We will look into top 50 question asked in an interview for an experienced (2-4 years) technical writer.
I am sure that, if you read this blog before preparing for an interview, there are high chances of your’s to end on a positive note.
I have categorized the question into three parts:
- Can you please walk me thru your CV? (The interviewer can interrupt you, and ask you the question based on the information provided on your CV).
- Can you tell me about yourself?
- Why did you choose technical writing as your career?
- Have you done any certification course?
- What are the challenges faced by technical writer?
- Can you explain me the workflow of your current organization?
- What made you to hunt for a new job?
- Are you comfortable working extra hours?
- What are your achievement as a tech writer in your present organization?
- How will you add value to our organization?
- Different between CV and Resume?
- Challenges faced during information gathering?
- List of publication tools you have worked?
- Different between Ms Word and Framemaker?
- Different between Structured Framemaker and Unstructured Framemaker?
- Different between XML and HTML?
- Can you explain me the process involved in DDLC?
- Can you explain me the process involved in SDLC?
- How do DDLC and SDLC work parallel?
- How do you estimate time for documentation?
- What is topic based authoring?
- How do you interview SME’s?
- Challenges faced during interviewing SME’s?
- Have you worked on UML? or What is UML (Unified Modeling Language)?
- Have you worked on Video Editing? (Ex: Camtasia)
- Could you show me your sample documents?
- Different between active voice and passive voice?
- Different between which and that?
- Different between its and it’s?
- Different between there and their?
- Types of clauses? What is restrictive clause and non-restrictive clause?
- Types of commas?
- What do you mean by callout?
- What process do you follow for translation?
- Overview on Robohelp and MS Word?
- What is text conditioning?
- Review process involved in technical writing?
- Different between User Manual and User Guide?
- Have you worked on API documentation? (Only asked, if the project is related to API Documentation).
- Have you published any article?
- When do we use Organise and Organize?
- Different between your and you’re?
- Aptitude questions
- Grammar test
- Edit the existing procedure (grammar, vocabulary, change voice, etc)
- Prepare a TOC
- Write the procedure using XML language.
- Procedure writing on topics like:
- How to make a call (MSTP style)
- How to withdraw money from ATM?
- What are the skills required/challenges faced by technical writer?
- Write a review of the latest movie you have seen?
If I have missed any questions, please mention it in comment box. It will be really helpful for those who are preparing for the interview.
All the Best!! 🙂