As I’ve mentioned, finding a technical writer community is extremely important to me as I make my transition into a new career path. Librarians have blogs and hashtags and chats and Tumblrs and so much more that ties them together as a strong, interactive, interesting, and funny community.
So far, I don’t see a ton of technical writers with social media presence, but I’m hoping that it’s only because I have yet to be initiated into the field and I haven’t discovered the technical writer habitat yet. Update: Found ‘em!
Here’s what I have found so far, which I will continue to update as I go along.
- Technical Writers
- #tcchat and #tcchat20 chats (both long defunct, but maybe there’s another one out there, or a chance of reviving them, so I’ll keep ‘em on the radar)
Note: These encompass both technical communications writers AND people who write about tech… the term suffers with ambiguity.
- Communications from DMN
- Cybertext Newsletter (Cybertext Consulting)
- David Farbey’s Marginal Notes
- Every Page is Page One (Analecta Communications)
- I Came, I Saw, I Learned (Iconlogic)
- I’d Rather Be Writing
Note: There are quite a few more technical writing blogs out there, but I’ve included these ones because they appear to be active and the content matches my interests, i.e. they are written personal narrative style rather than with an emphasis on specific technical solutions.
- Society for Technical Communication
- IEEE Professional Communication Society
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators
- National Writers Union
- Women in Technology International
- Technical Writing World (that’s right, technical writers have their own social media network)
Note: These are culled from my previous post on How To Get Started as a Technical Writer… I’m sure there are a lot more out there, these are just the ones that appealed to me in a broad sense.
As I’ve only been part of this community for a very short period of time, I know I’m omitting quite a bit here. If you’re reading this and you know of some resources that I’m missing, please share in the comments or on Twitter!
*Originally posted at theleastshrew.com – please see link for evolving, updated list*