I just recently discovered this site – thanks, Arnold, for helping gather such a great and supportive community!
I’d like to start a support forum on my blog for those in my situation: transitioning into Tech Writing from a non-writing career. Being at the steep end of the learning curve, I’m feeling the need to sort out the huge volume of available information, including here on TWW, and compile a list of links to and, when possible, reviews of the best of the available advice and resources. Hopefully, the information will also be useful to anyone who wants tips on job hunting or who wants to keep current with their skills and tools by covering a wide variety of topics:
- Finding documents to revise for your portfolio
- Job hunting tactics
- Resume creation
- Creating a personal website
- Ratings on job hunting sites
- The software that’s most useful to learn and resources to learn them
- Where to get evaluation copies of software
- The best ways to improve your writing skills on your own
- Tips on optimizing LinkedIn
- Finding internships
- Finding other writers to shadow
- Determining which aspect of the industry to target
- Video tutorials
- Strategies for interviewing
- Dress codes for interviewing
I’ll try to focus on one subject at a time per post and look forward to your feedback and comments.
Lastly, please let me know if any of you, especially those who are Tech Pubs Managers or have hiring experience, might be willing to offer career assistance in the form of individual resume or portfolio review, internships or shadowing (for those who are in your immediate area).